Sunday, September 8, 2013

From Montaigne to Ghazali and Back





Reading Montaigne in 1989 confirmed my intuition that, far from destroying faith, skepsis or honest doubt purifies faith by scrubbing it clean of credulity. I wanted to read more "religious thinkers" like Montaigne but discovered that he is rarely considered a religious thinker. This is partially due to the fact that Montaignean Christianity never really caught on.




Ironically, it was in Paris, in 1995, that I first read William Montgomery Watt's translation of al-Ghazali's Munqidh Min al-Dalal ("that which delivers from error") and, there, in what was ostensibly "Montaigne country," I encountered a religious thinker who, 500 years before Montaigne, had articulated what would become a Montaignean approach to religion. To my astonishment, I discovered, as well, that (unlike Montaigne's relation to Christianity) al-Ghazali is central to the Islamic tradition: he is, in fact, comparable to a St. Augustine or St. Thomas Aquinas in the history of Islamic thought.



Reading Montaigne prepared me to read al-Ghazali. Re-reading al-Ghazali has prompted my return to Montaigne. Placing the two in "conversation" is rich, very rich.

No comments:

Post a Comment