Sunday, November 22, 2015

Fr. William K. Hubbell Centenary



Today I celebrate what would have been the 100th birthday of an old friend, Fr. Bill Hubbell of Lexington, Kentucky. I met Bill in August of 1978 and he and I became and remained friends until his passing in 2004. I cannot begin to explain our friendship--how it began or how it endured, mostly at a distance (I lived in Lexington only during the academic year 1978-1979); I can only say that despite distance in space and time and relative age (he was in his early sixties when we met, I was all of 18) we made some sort of connection--of sympathetic hearts and minds--that (though occasionally strained) would never break. I love him to this day, remember him frequently, miss him like a father or a brother--for, in many ways, he was both to me.

We come from Him/Her/It and we return to Him/Her/It. Rest in peace my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment